Saturday, March 9, 2024

Chance to bid on Geddy Lee's watches & help a charity!

If you are not familiar with Dan Tanenbaum, perhaps you recognize his Instagram handle @watchpartsmotorcyle. His artwork made of watch parts has been catching my attention for years and when I heard that he was organizing a charity auction I had to find out more. However, first I had to know more about his art.

I directly messaged him on Instagram and asked how it all got started. “I’ve been collecting watches for over twenty years; I was captivated by the intricate movements within these timepieces. I love the sentimental journeys these watches have taken, the significant life events they have witnessed… I couldn't bear the thought of their final resting place being a garbage heap. This is what led me to breathe new life into them, via a different artistic form.”

I figured acquiring all those watch parts would not be easy, so I asked him how he does it. “My quest for parts takes me to numerous antique shows, estate sales, and flea markets. Additionally, various watchmakers send me pieces that are no longer in use or are damaged. It's important to note that no watches are harmed or dismantled for the sake of creating my sculptures.”

If you have seen his sculptures, you must wonder how he makes them look that way. Here is what he had to say. “The primary challenge is that all watch parts are flat, while some of my artwork requires a delicate bend to conform to specific shapes. Preserving the integrity of these watch components while incorporating them into pieces with intricate curves demands strategic bending and manipulation.”

Having satisfied my curiosity, I figured I should finally ask him about his charity auction since that is why I contacted him in the first place. “My twin boys were both diagnosed with Crohn's disease, 18 months apart, and having experienced firsthand the impact of this condition, and wanting to raise not just funds but also awareness, I decided to organize this Charity Watch Auction to support Crohn’s and Colitis Canada. I've been fortunate to gather support from remarkable collectors, brands, and micro brands, including a very generous donation of five remarkable watches from Geddy Lee of Rush, an avid watch collector.”

From Geddy Lee’s vintage Heuer Camaro chronograph, to a MB&F M.A.D. 1, to a brand new donated Zenea Ula Diver, there is something in this auction to please every horological palate. Why not treat yourself and help a great cause? For more details and to bid, follow this link below. The auction is March 10th at 4:00pm Eastern Time.

A MATTER OF TIME - A CHARITY WATCH AUCTION

No comments:

Post a Comment