Monday, March 16, 2015

Ball Pilot GMT + Scotch Brite Pad + Polywatch + Elbow Grease = Happy WIS

I recently acquired a Ball Aviator GMT, which was a watch I had my eye on since Basel 2014. When I finally received it, I was slightly disappointed with all the polished bits and even more disappointed with the anti-reflective coating on the top of the crystal. While I understand its purpose and I agree with many of my fellow WIS, it is cool to look at, but ONLY when it is clean!

Unfortunately, it never stays that way. The minute there is dust, a print or anything on the crystal it shows right away. It is also difficult to wipe clean, without leaving streaks. Not to mention, it is highly and easily prone to scratches and once scratched, that is all you see. I find it ludicrous to put a weak film on top of a scratch resistant surface. A poster on one of the forums likened it to putting cheap plating on a ceramic bezel.

After trying to live with the "blingyness" and the ever dirty crystal for a week, I decided to do something about it. I broke out the following tools:


The scotch was to calm my nerves, the Polywatch was to rub off the AR Film on the crystal and the Scotch Brite was to brush the shiny bits on the bracelet. I was not sure of the Polywatch would affect the bezel and I was going to try and avoid removing the polish on the beveled edges on the center links, so that they will go with the polished lugs on the watch head.

Here is what the watch looked like pre-modification:

 

 

I started with the bracelet and I have to say, it was MUCH easier to do than I anticipated. The fine brushed marks that were now on the top of the center links matched perfectly with the original finish on the rest of the bracelet. My confidence was soaring! Once I had this done, I moved on to the crystal. This was much more difficult, as I was unsure how much Polywatch I had left in the tiny tube and I did not want to run one with the job half done.

Luckily, I had enough and after a solid 30 minutes of polishing the AR film was removed. I can honestly say, I am 1000% happier with my Ball Aviator GMT now. So glad I sent through with it and did not just give up and sell it. Here are the results:

 

 

If I would have had the courage to have tried this brush technique on my Ball Airborne, I would likely still have it. I just do not understand the appeal of shiny bits on a sports / tool watch, but this is just my opinion, of course. Others my like it and they are entitled to their opinions. 

For some Ball Watch fun, here are a couple of lume shots for you:

 

After all, this is the #1 factor for owning a Ball Watch! I love them tubes and now I love my Pilot GMT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment